As part of the wind farm development, a new control building was required to control the 13 new onshore wind turbines with a total installed capacity of 62MW. Through a competitive tender process, competing against other contractors, Nairn Construction Ltd were engaged by Jones Bros Ltd to carry out building works to create the control building.
As the new building was isolated from the main turbine site and situated on a natural peat bog which was classed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), there were features and natural wildlife habitats surrounding the development which had to be considered such as watercourses, insects, nesting birds and reptiles.
A key aspect of the requirements was to keep water pollution, silt run off and further disturbances of the natural surrounding area to a minimum.
After enabling works were carried out by Jones Bros Ltd and mitigation measures installed, such as silt nets and water run off ditches, Nairn Construction Ltd secured the site boundaries with security fencing to define the work zones and protect the natural habitats from the works.
The key works carried out by Nairn were as follows:-
- Excavations to formation level for the substation and scada room cable pits
- Sump drainage for the pits
- Waterproofing and gas membrane works with cable entry details
- Reinforced concrete floor slabs and retaining walls
- Strip foundations and blockwork substructure works
- Under slab drainage and cable service ducts
- Polished concrete floors
- Blockwork cavity superstructure works
- Raised access flooring and anti-slip resin floor coverings
- Structural steel and GRP grid flooring for the substation kit
- Installation of roof trusses, security mesh and roof tiles
- First and second fix joinery works, including formation of kitchen and a compliant toilet
- Plumbing and Air Conditioning works
- Installation of security doors
- Decoration works
- Construction of concrete footpaths, disable parking bay and parking bays
- Installation of water harvesting system, fire fighter tanks, septic system with associated manhole systems and soakaways
- Installation of 140m Palisade Fencing and security gates around external located transformers and overhead cable plant with shuttered foundation details
- Dressing and grading of clean stone to transformer compound area
- Dressing, grading and compacting of compound area
This facility will provide future maintenance engineers for the windfarm with adequate office space and welfare facilities to carry out their duties of monitoring and maintaining the controls for the new onshore turbines.
Carried out Safely
“Nairn Construction have been so easy to work with, they have work alongside us to ensure the highest satisfactory level is achieved. Thank you for your help and cooperation on our projects, it really is appreciated.”
“I can honestly say I have literally never seen a Subbie produce this (NEC Rates Schedule) before…or a main Contractor for that matter!”
Graham Hand, Senior Project Quantity Surveyor
Jones Bros Civil Engineering UK