The glue of the construction industry
Civils Operatives or Groundworkers as they are sometimes known are a key member of almost all construction sites across the world. A Civils Operative accumulates a variety of different skills during their career keeping life interesting and fast paced. They are usually the first people on any new build construction site, one of the last offsite and are responsible for carrying out a variety of roles on a construction site.
Working alongside various trades and using their ability to understand each trades requirements allows seamless progress on site. It’s often the Civils Operatives that ensure that work carried out is accurate and precise as the many trades on a construction site follow their lead i.e. Bricklayers and Joiners. Steel Frame Erectors build off slabs and foundations that Civils Operatives construct. Surfacing works and modular paving is built from the subgrades that groundworkers install. Plumbers connect into drainage that Civils operatives lay.
Groundworks and Civils Operatives are usually called upon and responsible for carrying out the following:
- Setting up the site, installing temporary fencing, carparks, roads, drainage to allow the site to operate initially.
- Finding and tracing existing site services for record purposes.
- Assisting in earthworks operations checking levels and operating plant.
- Installing services like drainage, ducting, water pipes, cabling.
- Excavating and installing concrete foundations to drawings and specification and setting in accessories like holding down bolts.
- Grouting works to steel columns after erection.
- Install sheet tanking and DPM’s to retaining walls and floor slabs
- Placing and tying reinforcement.
- Setting up perimeter shutters, Placing and Finishing concrete slabs and footpaths
- Setting up and laying kerbs for roads and footpaths
- Installing aggregate materials and subbases below specified finishes
- Operating various plant and equipment such as rollers, dumpers, excavator, telehandlers, powered compaction plates, saws etc.
- Installing modular paving system like slabbing, monoblock, grass matting.
Are you interested in a career in construction
If you are a hardworking individual looking to progress in Civils, gaining qualifications and plant tickets along the way then get in touch today!
supporting the industry
TEAMWORK | RESPECT | INTEGRITY | CONFIDENCE | VALUE
We recognise the current skills shortage in the industry, and are helping to proactively address this through employing trainees and offering multiple apprenticeship opportunities. Sadly there is currently no recognised apprenticeship in Dumfries and Galloway for Civil Engineering but there are SVQ opportunities to be had once you have the basics in place.
Working to an approved framework of modules we support our trainees to gain a well rounded knowledge of civils and plant operation.
We prioritise internal promotion and ongoing development, allowing our staff to remain safe in the knowledge that there are opportunities for them to grow on a personal and professional level.
want to join the team?
We’re always on the look our for hard-working individuals, no matter how experienced you are. If you’re interested in being part of the team, click on the job links for more details.
All applications to be emailed to email@example.com or call 01576501150 for an informal chat.
“Working at Nairn Construction has been an amazing experience. It’s a very fast paced environment where everyone pitches in and supports one another. I found the management team to be very collaborative and listen to the teams’ ideas. The job is never the same, there’s always something new to learn and so much going on with new projects starting. If you are looking for a company with a family feel, then this is definitely the one to work for.”
We have openings for Trainee Civil Engineering Operatives within the team working in D&G, Cumbria and the Central Belt.
Click the link below for further information,
We are a fair work employer and believe in creating a working environment around our core values of teamwork, respect, integrity, confidence and value.
Meet the team
At Nairn Construction, the people come first. We directly employ 90% of our workforce and include our regular CIS colleagues in everything that we do. We invest in our people, treat them well and listen to them. We all work hard together to deliver projects that exceed our clients’ expectations.